Planting Grass Seed in Alabama
Environmental conditions vary greatly throughout the state of Alabama and some grass species perform better than others, depending on the location. Some grass varieties can grow well throughout most of the state while others will perform better in specific regions.
Below are some of the most common turf grasses planted and grown in Alabama…
Warm-Season Grasses (80 – 95 degrees F)
- Bermudagrass – entire state.
- Bahiagrass – often used for utility turf lawns.
- Zoysia Grass – suited for the entire state.
- Centipedegrass – ideal grass for homeowner who wants a fairly nice looking lawn without having to keep up with a bunch of maintenance.
- St. Augustine Grass – most shade tolerant grass warm-season grasses and grows well in the southern third of the state where climates are warmer and humid.
Cool-Season Grasses (60 – 75 degrees F)
Click on one of the grasses for planting details and then visit the Planting Grass Seed page for detailed instructions on how to correctly prepare your soil and plant your grass seed for your lawn.